Thursday, January 22, 2009

Barack and Roll

So this past week has been a whirlwind of emotions. Sunday before I left New York City we sat and watched the inauguration concert on the National Mall and there was something about it that just moved me. The performers were all coming out to show their support for Barack Obama. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to vote and appreciate it. Maybe it's because liberal Hollywood knows how to celebrate, or maybe its just because the change deserves celebrating. I can't help but be excited for what is going to happen over the next few years.

I was sitting today watching the first press conference and I can't say I've ever been so interested in politics. It's truly all eyes on Barack. I think now that the celebrations and balls are over it's really going to sink that he is now in charge of our country, all of it. I just hope that people realize that he isn't going to change anything over night. The shit on his plate is huge and all encompassing, from war to economics to equal rights. He is going to have to start at the bottom and work his way up. He signed the order to close Guantanamo Bay. He's working on another economic bailout, but everything is going to take time.

On the actual inauguration day, I think peoples hopes were so high that his speech seemed underwhelming. He had set the bar high with the speech on election day and this time he was more realistic, more serious, and very straightforward saying that it isn't going to be an easy road. He has his visions and goals, but he didn't rally the troops or expect everyone to jump on the bandwagon. Instead he, in my humble opinion, was asking for support but more so patience. He was setting the tone and the map for what is going to be a long 100 days. It took 8 years to bring the country to where we are today and we can't expect that to change overnight. It may take another 8 or so years to rebuild it.

Here's hoping it's up from here.

-Sh

2 comments:

Mary said...

One of the greatest things about Inauguaration Day this year was sitting in a class of 9 and 10 year children; the majority of whom are African Americans,watching the ceremony, and having them spontaneously applaud at the words Obama was saying. Their heart-felt "Amens" were awe inspiring. The look of hope in their eyes...PRICELESS!
Good, bad, indifferent Obama has given them that.

Unknown said...

I think that might be one of the greatest accomplishments. Is that a whole new group of people is able to say yes I can. To believe that there is a chance for them to do something. I don't remember who it was, but when Barack first won someone said that now it's not only you can be anything you want, it's now you can be anything you want, even President of the United States.