Saturday, April 21, 2007

Halfway Point

So it's April 22 and I have just under two months left until I head back to the States. (less than that for my birthday) It's been a crazy two months so far that seems to have flown by. I've learned to surf, been to a handful of different beaches on the East Coast of Australia. I've tried more than a handful of Austrlian beers and met people from all over the US and around the world. Overall it's been a great experience. I've said this before, but it's very similar to Freshmen year of college. It's nice and weird to experience this all over again. You go to a place that you aren't very familiar with. You're living with people you probably have never met before. You get along with some of them, you don't get along with others. You're trying to figure out what food is safe to eat and/or what new combinations of food you've never imagined are actually delicious, like a cheese sandwich with pickles, sweet chili sauce, and potatoe chips. You're trying to figure out how professors grade and find that balance between doing work and going out and enjoying yourself. Sometimes going crazy when you realize that you are doing too much of one or the other. When you look back on it it's probably the best time of your life and you probably met people you will keep in contact with for the rest of your life. But there is also a part of me that doesn't miss freshmen year and the stupid arguments and conversations you have when people don't get you or don't get your sarcasm. You spend so much time trying to impress or define yourself to people, and some of which you'll never see again. I came to Sydney so I wouldn't get caught in the trap of staying with 'the group' the entire time. Less people, I thought meant less likely to get sucked into that trap. But I did get sucked in. I enjoyed. Had a lot of fun when we did stuff together like surf camp and exploring parts of the city, but now I'm ready to break free a little. Do some of the stuff that I want to do with different people and go out and meet people I haven't met yet. It just seems like I'm getting critized by the group for it now. They are mad at me because I don't want to spend every waking moment with them. Life is too short to walk on eggshells for other people and these next two months will be the best two months of my life thus far. Lots of trips planned and lots of people out there to meet. Somewhere in the rush maybe I'll find a job. It's kind of sad when you don't even get a call back from Subway :( But I'm out on the prowl again on Monday.

Until later

5 comments:

albanymom said...

How could Subway not want you?....

Shawn said...

I don't know...I make amazing subs...lol love ya

Uncle Joe said...

Shawn, you are my hero...How many different beers?

Tah said...

i'll not eat there AGAIN!!....(or at least for a WEEK!!)....did you tell them you're the guy MTV hired the DAY they first had his interview!!! GAWD...the fools! Their loss, baby! Have a blast. Thanks for the "Halfway" thing...made my DAY!! I tell ya...
I'm gonna start a job hunt soon, too...a little scary after all this time.. Love and miss ya!!
Find me on MYSPACE (robfantah) is my U-R-somethin', i dunno...love ya

Mary said...

Just wanted you to know that every one missed you at Mamie's party on Saturday....especially Caitlin...
Subway!!!!! Did you tell them that was beneath you, your family has the best subs in the world....
Keep your chin up...Bickering happens.
I bet Mamie would like some of Australia's beers. I don't know about Uncle Jack, he is not very adventurous in his beer selection... Miss you honey