Saturday, April 14, 2007

Songs of the Week




Here are the songs I've been listening to this week. Just click on a song to hear it. I've mentioned most of the music in previous posts. I'll update every week or so with new songs that are out. The Pink song is one that I've been listening to alot lately. She was just on Jimmy Kimmel Live to perform it, and thanked him for letting her. A lot of radio and TV networks won't let her talk about it or perform it. I think it has a lot to say about where our country is right now in terms of freedom. We are fighting multiple wars to bring other people freedom and we are losing alot of our own freedoms right here. Pink's song is an open letter to the President. Here are the lyrics:
Dear Mr. President
Come take a walk with me
Let's pretend we're just two people and
You're not better than me
I'd like to ask you some questions if we can speak honestly

What do you feel when you see all the homeless on the street
Who do you pray for at night before you go to sleep
What do you feel when you look in the mirror
Are you proud

How do you sleep while the rest of us cry
How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye
How do you walk with your head held high
Can you even look me in the eye
And tell me why

Dear Mr. President
Were you a lonely boy
Are you a lonely boy
Are you a lonely boy
How can you say
No child is left behind
We're not dumb and we're not blind
They're all sitting in your cells
While you pay the road to hell

What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away
And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay
I can only imagine what the first lady has to say
You've come a long way from whiskey and cocaine

How do you sleep while the rest of us cry
How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye
How do you walk with your head held high
Can you even look me in the eye

Let me tell you bout hard work
Minimum wage with a baby on the way
Let me tell you bout hard work
Rebuilding your house after the bombs took them away
Let me tell you bout hard work
Building a bed out of a cardboard box
Let me tell you bout hard work
Hard work
Hard work
You don't know nothing bout hard work
Hard work
Hard work
Oh

How do you sleep at night
How do you walk with your head held high
Dear Mr. President
You'd never take a walk with me
Would you


Jimmy asked her if she expected a response. She said "yeah through eminem". I guess we will just have to wait and see.

The Don Imus situation is an interesting one as well. Not as out there as Howard Stern, but still a shock jock, Imus and his producer made an on air comment about the mostly African American Rutgers basketball team following their lose in the NCAA Championship. What started out as a two week suspension, has now become his firing. While what he said was completely inapproriate, it still brings into question the idea of freedom of speech. As a student of the media, it was really interesting to watch. Those of you who live in the capital region and listen to the New Edge radio station (104.9) may have noticed last week that Darwin and Cat were suspended for a week after a comment they made caused some controversy as well. While were talking about radio, anyone who may have been listening Friday night your time to Fly92 at 9:50 may have caught my cameo appearance. If you did, don't worry, the story was exaggerated for radio purposes.


I have also gotten my hands on some audio software and have been messing around with some songs and mashups etc. I may also be recording a podcast for you all in the next week or so depending on how much time I have. A podcast is like an audio file where I can record a blog or journal entry and save so you can all download and hear it. I've been trying to call people when I have time, but there are just so many of you, so this will be like a one sided phone conversation. So I'll work on that.

Hope you are all having a great weekend.
Til Later

3 comments:

Mary said...

You can teach an old dog new tricks..I listened to the entire list and liked MOST of the selections. I was unable to get Pink's to play at all. Thanks for the variety. Love ya

Mamie said...

I hope I logged in correctly! I love you, eldest grandson "down under" You're already well on the journey that I didn't begin until I was in my forties! Keep going for those challenges you KNOW you can meet, as well as those that cause more hesitation. Congrats on bringing fan-tan to Australia! All my love and prayers.

Tah said...

YEAH MAMIE....WAY TO GO...GOOD TO HAVE YOU ON BOARD...WHAT A GREAT WAY TO SPEND YOUR TIME, WITH THAT AUDIO THING...WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO HEAR YOUR VOICE...THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE JACKSON NEWS...TRYING TO TALK ANDI (aka the REAL Jackson fan) into driving up from WV and accompanying me...thought of you yesterday ALOT, went on tour of SUNY AT ONEONTA with Justin....We decided the tour guides not nearly as good as you would be...KEEP THE MUSIC coming(MOST of it i didn't know)...and, for Imus, pay attention to the last line of HAPPY FEET (the DISNEY movie) i hear he calls them "Nappy Headed!!!"Keep fighting the fight...someone's got to pick it up...LOVE AND MISS YOU DESPERATELY!!!